2013 is here! In spite of economic uncertainty, one thing is certain ~ businesses will need to gas up and get going. As referenced throughout 2012, business is a journey, now more than ever. Getting from A to B is not a straight shot. As you enter the curves ahead you must shoot for the apex and take advantage of the downforce as you round the corners.
Before you redefine, relaunch or redeploy time, talent, energy and other resources in an effort to grow your business linearly, stop operating as if long-term forecasts or accurate budget projections can deliver never-ending growth.
Recognize and embrace the curvilinear reality of current business.
Where are you going and why? Who do you want in your pit crew? Left-foot break and consider these five things:
- Think beyond a linear mindset. Break-through technology, highly volatile commodity costs and all sorts of other variables are constant. Horizontal planning is no longer viable. Think strategically and adjust with over and under steering.
- Have a goal that inspires YOU, your people and your customers. We are an interdependent society and the positive impact your company and you make will result in growth.
- Focus on improving what you have, not growing what you don’t.
- Observe and listen. Prepare for the new era of work, including the virtual and contingent workforces.
- Elevate your team to represent your brand and vision. They are your pit crew. They will make the difference. They will deliver.
Strategic plans will be based on likelihoods while uncertainty prevails. What awaits around the next corner is unknown.
Pull in for a pit stop and tire change, then get going and embrace the curves up ahead. Be ready!